Liberty Science Center is open! Our regular hours are Thursdays and Fridays from 10 am – 4 pm, and Saturdays and Sundays from 10 am – 5 pm. Click here to learn more about our safety protocols and get tickets now.
Join Liberty Science Center’s Live From Surgery Team for our final live stream presentation before we take a break for the summer: Extract DNA at Home!In this program, you'll get an intro to genetics, and you’ll even learn to extract DNA yourself – from a strawberry!
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄3 cup rubbing alcohol
• 1⁄3 cup of water
• 1 tablespoon liquid soap (such as dishwashing detergent)
• Metal strainer (or funnel with paper towel, cheesecloth, or coffee filter in it)
• Drinking glass (or plastic cup)
• 3 strawberries (highly recommended, but can be done with other fruits such as banana, kiwi)
• Large sandwich sized zip-top plastic bag
• Toothpick (or bamboo skewer)
Check it out:
This live stream originally aired on Liberty Science Center's Facebook page on June 30, 2020. Be sure to like LSC's Facebook page to keep up with our weekly live streams.
We are grateful to the supporters and members who make this learning possible via a donation to Liberty Science Center. Click here to support LSC today.